Monday

My Support Group

I remember there was one day last year, where I took Damien to the doctor and after a little bit, my doctor looked at me and said, "Jeri, do you have the support that you need? Do you belong to a support group yet?" 

I remember thinking, "No. Not really." I didn't want to go to weekly meetings and talk to a bunch of strangers about the problems we were facing. It would be just another thing to add to my  huge list of things to do during the week! 

But then I thought about it. I don't need to belong to a support group that meets every week, I already had one. I had my sister-in-law. She had some of the same things going on and had been dealing with a couple kids and disorders already for a couple of years. In fact, when I started noticing the changes in Damien, she was the one that mentioned sensory processing disorder. I know I can call her anytime, whether its for advice, or to vent about frustrations. 

I have my family. I can call any one of them and just talk. And sometimes  that's all I need.

I have the speech and occupational therapists that we work with. I've found that if you have some great therapists, ones that aren't just there to help your kids, but also there to talk to, it will help alot. We probably spend the first 10-15 minutes talking about the frustrations or triumphs of the week. 

You don't need to belong to a real "support group." As long as you have friends to talk to, friends that understand what you're going through, that's all you need. 

 

2 comments: