Wednesday

Weighted Creations

Last year, I was advised to look into a weighted blanket to help Damien. Weighted blankets help the body process sensory input, which will make them less restless and help them sleep better.  

 I looked online and quickly realized that they are expensive! Ranging anywhere from $60-$100 or more! I did some research and after purchasing the materials, I had made my first weighted blanket. 

I don't have a picture, but it was just a baby blanket size and was made out of minky. He had picked out the fabric himself and he loved it! He would carry it everywhere and it helped him sleep good. After a couple months, he had taught himself how to better regulate his body, and wasn't using it anymore. One day, I decided to put it on the local facebook yardsale page, and within 20 minutes, had about 10 people interested in it! I ended up selling it for $40.

That night, I layed in bed and thought about all the other people that NEEDED a weighted blanket, but couldn't afford the ones online.  After talking to Ryan, I decided to open up a little shop on facebook and named it Weighted Creations.

(To check out my facebook page, click on the facebook tab on the right hand side bar)

The support was amazing! The first couple months I received a couple orders a month, getting me used to how everything would work out. I took a break in January to deal with some medical issues for my son. In February, I opened up shop again, and orders starting pouring in! I couldn't believe it.

So far, I've shipped to Washington, Texas, Oregon, Iowa, Georgia, and all over Idaho.

These are some of my past creations. Usually when people order, they just say I want dinosaur theme, or my son loves blue, etc., and I go to work to try to find something fun and cute!





If interested in ordering a weighted creation, contact me!




11 comments:

  1. What are your blankets filled with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, I haven't been on this blog for awhile, I've been so busy making blankets :) The blankets are filled with poly pellets, so you can wash and dry them.

      Delete
  2. I am considering this for my grandma who suffers with restless leg syndrome. I know of rice weights in the past and would love to consider one of these for her. Please advise me on how I can purchase one from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am so glad to get your pinterest
    page. I have been looking for someone who can do a adult lap quilt or a twin size quilt. I have a lot of anxiety and a lot of trouble with restless leg syndrome. Please let me know what you can do for me. Thanks Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much does an adult sized blanket cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very eager to learn more about this. My twin son is in de sport need of something like this. His sensory issues are not allowing him to sleep properly, therefore keeping his sister & I awake. I would love to make one myself, but time is always an issue raising twins alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested in a twin size blanket. I live in Florida, zip code 33770. Thanks, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering do u have girl color for ur weight blanket I need a blanket for my autistic daughter shes 2 years old and needs a 2 lb. Blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you give me estimates for twin and full size blankets? I would like one side to be very soft. My adult daughter with SPD said she would like a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are heavy blankets of more than 15 pounds filled with different material from wool to plastic pellets. The idea is that when you sleep in a blanket with such deep pressure, you give your body a calming effect. There are various kinds of weighted blankets you need to check out. visit

    ReplyDelete